You are here:Dom / courses / Main course /beyte chicken
- ByMichelle's lover
This post may contain affiliate links.
Go to the recipe
Delicious, easy to cook, and much healthier than your standard kebab, this chicken beyti kebab is one of Turkey's most popular dishes, and it's easy to see why!
So if you're looking for something a bit exotic, this recipe is for you.
Why you'll love this Beyti chicken recipe
- they are likefancy sausage rollsserved with a lovely sauce
- For such a delicious dish, it's amazingeasy
- Is veryadaptable
The equipment needed to make this recipe.
There is one key piece of equipment you will need before you start cooking:
- cast iron grill pan– necessary to cook this sensational dish in one pot
How to make chicken beyti
Measure out the passata, butter and balsamic vinegar.
Place all three ingredients in a pot over medium heat. Stir until the butter melts and the sauce is smooth. Let it bubble for 10 minutes, then set aside.
Prepare the ingredients for the chicken stuffing.
Chop the chicken if you bought whole chicken breasts or thighs.
Place the red pepper, mint and garlic in a food processor.
Stir until ingredients are finely chopped.
Add the chopped ingredients, salt and chili flakes to the minced chicken and mix well.
Fry the chicken in a pan.
Combine all ingredients for herb sauce.
Put everything in a pot and cook over low heat for 2 minutes. Leave to cool.
Lay two sheets of filo on top of each other on a floured surface.
Spread with herb sauce.
Place one-third of the chicken filling on the filo sheet in a single line.
Roll the filled filo into a sausage shape.
Repeat the process until all ingredients are used up.
Brush the phyllo sausages with more herb sauce.
Bake until the phyllo dough is crispy and golden. Serve immediately with yogurt and spicy tomato sauce. Enjoy!
Buy quality chicken minced meat from butchers. If it's dry enough, you can make this recipe on the grill. See the instructions at the end of this article.
What to serve with beyti chicken
There are many different sides that can be served with beyti kebab. Here are some suggestions:
- Salad - try mineMediterranean saladfor a healthy, light and tasty decoration
- Fresh or grilled tomatoes
- Raw vegetables
- Fried eggplant
- cacique– this classic Turkish yogurt dip can be served alongside or instead of the yogurt dip in this recipe
Popular substitutes for this recipe.
Herbs play an important role in Turkish cuisine. You can substitute parsley and mintthymeoRomeroand even add some mint to the yogurt sauce if you like.
Wraps instead of puff pastry
You can use phyllo dough insteadtortilla wraps. You can also use a traditional flatbread known as lavash, which is popular in Middle Eastern countries such as Turkey, Iran and Armenia.
You can replace vegetable oilextra virgin lubliving oil.
Variations of this recipe
- You can useMinced meatominced lamb meatinstead of minced chicken.
- In Türkiye people often grate the local cheese calledquestionin tomato sauce to give it even more flavor.
- Add more spices to this Turkish kebab for more depth of flavor. Traditional spices used in Turkish cuisine include:caraway seed,cinnamon,pimenton,cardamom,revive,turmericynutmeg.
If you're using a cast iron skillet, be sure to cook the chicken over very high heat for a lovely smoky flavor.
What is chicken beyti kebab?
It's a Turkish dish consisting of grilled minced chicken on a skewer and wrapped in flat bread or, in this case, a cake.
How to store beyti chicken leftovers?
Store leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate. They will stay fresh for about three days.
More Turkish Recipes
Do you love Turkish cuisine? Look at these:
- de cordero shashlik
- Beyti lamb kebab
- Author: Michelle's lover
- Total time: 55 minutes
- Produce: 8portions1X
- Diet: halal
It's easy to see why this Chicken Beyti Kebab is one of the most popular dishes in Turkey. Why not be a little healthier and do it yourself?
- 500g(2¼ cups) approved
- 98g(7 tbsp) butter
- 30ml (2 tablespoons) of balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 60ml (4 tablespoons) of vegetable oil
- 4garlic cloves, crushed
- 10sprigs of parsley, finely chopped
- 125ml (½ cup) of water
- 2 gr(½ tsp) Sal
- 1 g(½ tsp) dried chilli flakes
- 1kg (2.2 lb) of minced chicken
- 2garlic cloves, crushed
- 1red pepper, finely chopped
- 5g(3 tbsp) fresh mint, finely chopped
- 11g(2 tsp) Sal
- 2 gr(1 tsp) dried chilli flakes
- 240g(6sheets) sheets of phyllo dough
- 500g(1¾ cup) Greek yoghurt
- parsley, for decoration
- For the tomato sauce:Place all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, stir well until everything is well combined, then simmer and simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened. Put aside.
- For the herb sauce:Put everything in a saucepan. Simmer everything for 2 minutes, mix and set aside to cool.
- Chicken Kofta:Preheat oven to 180°C / fan 160°F / 350°F / gas mark 4.
- Mix all ingredients for Chicken Kofte in a bowl and knead for 2 minutes.
- Heat some oil in a skillet over medium heat. Fry the minced chicken for 5 minutes or until almost cooked.
- Remove from heat and allow meat to cool enough to handle.
- Dust a clean surface with flour and stack two sheets of phyllo dough on top of each other.
- While the meat is cooling, brush the phyllo dough with the herb sauce.
- Place one-third of the chicken in the center of the bread in a straight column. Roll it up to look like a sausage roll. Transfer to a large baking pan. Repeat the process to create two more rolls.
- Brush the outside of the phyllo dough with the herb sauce, then bake for 25 minutes or until the dough is golden and crispy.
- Cut it into bite-sized pieces. Arrange the pieces on a plate in a circle in a large serving dish.
- Fill the center with yogurt and drop spoons of tomato sauce on the outside of the meat circle. Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Traditionally, kofta should be cooked on the grill. Our minced chicken was quite wet which made it very difficult to load onto skewers so we couldn't use this method. Cooking on the stovetop also works, but we resorted to frying the meat in a pan, which also worked. That said, if you're having better luck with minced chicken, follow the directions below for a more traditional take on the recipe. Divide the raw Chicken Kofta mix into 8 equal portions. Prepare the barbecue. Alternatively, heat a cast iron skillet over high heat. Place a portion of the mixture on the skewer by slowly pressing and squeezing from top to bottom until an even sausage forms on the skewer. Repeat the process for the meat and remaining skewers. Fry the skewers for 8 minutes, turning them often. Follow the rest of the recipe instructions after the chicken is cooked.
- Unless you make your own, lavash bread is not available in the UK. Ideally, you need 2 large lava rolls, but 4 tortillas will suffice. Then you will not have to cook beyti in the oven, and you can immediately serve them with sauces. Check out my Lamb Beyti recipe for step by step instructions.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Time to cook: 35 minutes
- Category: Main course
- Method: Bake
- Cocina: turquoise
Keywords:chicken beyti, chicken beyti recipe, chicken beyti kebab, chicken beyti wrap, chicken beyti wrap, turkish chicken beyti, turkish chicken recipe
more main course
- Pasta with blue cheese with spinach, mushrooms and walnuts
- Vacuum packed chicken breasts
- Gorgonzola Pasta With Pine Nuts
- Vegetable balti
DON'T MISS ANYTHING!
New recipes, tips and tricks, reviews and giveaways every week!