The dollar is not just a dollar when it comes to the most expensive securities in the world.
Whether you own one, are looking for one, or are thinking of joining one, the world's most expensive degrees are like life and freedom. They are priceless.
Sure, it comes at a price, and a big one, but you can't attach importance to a good education.
Unlike buying something on Amazon, the world's most expensive titles don't just give you a piece of my paper at the end.
They will take you to a world of possibilities. This is no exaggeration, especially if you have earned any of those coveted degrees abroad.
This does not mean that if you have one of the most expensive degrees in the world, you are guaranteed a well-paid job.
The truth is that there is no guarantee or shortcut. Ultimately, it is what you do with the skills, knowledge, and affiliations of the degree you have completed.
Take, for example, the law. Suppose you graduated from Columbia Law School which is ranked in the top 25 in the worldQS World University Ranking 2023.
In the academic year 2022-23 it costs82 467 USDpursue a Juris Doctor and LLM program. This does not include accommodation, food, personal expenses and academic materials which can cost even more110 450 USD, according to the law school website.
If you haven't worked hard (and law school is hard) andTake advantage of the school's long-standing relationships with top employers around the world, alumni network or renowned faculty, you won't get anywhere.
If you fail, you may even be deported.
This shows that the world's most expensive titles, used and appreciated in the right way, are invaluable in the seemingly endless list of benefits you highlight.
In the long run, getting closer to your dream life and career may even be a small price to pay.
With that said, let's take a closer look at the world's most expensive titles. We have classified them below according to:
- how much they cost, including tuition and other fees
- Expected salaries (based on data from sites such as Glassdoor and the US Bureau of Labor Statistics (USBLS), unless otherwise noted)
- job prospects for graduates
- the best universities and programs in each field
Is it wise to choose one of the most expensive careers in the world if you can't afford it? Source: Susannah Ireland/AFP
The 8 most expensive races in the world that are worth every penny
Here are some of the best law schools in the world:
- Yale Law School, Juris Doctor (71 540 USD)
- Cambridge University, LLB (£24,507, $30,438.31 for 2023 entry)
- New York University,Doctorate in Law ($73,216)
In addition to being one ofmore challengesylonger coursesIt is not surprising in the world that studying law is expensive.
Depending on where you study, it can take up to four years to complete a law degree like the Juris Doctor.
Combine that with the fact that there are bar exams and boarding periods to complete, and it can take a lot of time and money to qualify as a lawyer.
If you want to practice in another jurisdiction, you will need to pass the bar exam in the specific state or country, which will also cost money.
Despite this, many students pursue the field because of the potential for high-paying careers in law firms, government agencies, and other legal organizations.
- US median salary: $127,990 (2021)
- Average annual UK salary: £73,639
Mechanical engineering may be one of the most expensive majors in the world, but it can prepare you to build systems and structures for top brands like BMW. Credit: Tobias Schwarz/AFP
2. Mechanical engineering
Here are some of the best universities to study mechanical engineering:
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering ($59,750)
- Harvard University School of Engineering (Paulson)($58,224, following US news and world reports)
- Cambridge University, Meng (£37,293, $46,351.47 for 2023 entry)
If you plan to study engineering, you should know that: studying a specialized field of engineering will be more expensive for you.
Take Blake Hinsey, for example. As a graduate of mechanical engineering, he left the United States and continued his careerMasters in Motorsports Engineering from Oxford Brookes UniversityGet a job in Formula 1.
This one-year degree costs £17,800, making it one of the most expensive degrees in the world.
In general, engineering programs require access to advanced facilities and laboratory equipment that can be costly to maintain and upgrade, such asAerodynamic tunnelat the Faculty of Engineering at Imperial College London.
Engineering professors and staff who are experts in their field often maintain these facilities. As such, they receive higher salaries due to their specialist knowledge and experience, salaries that take into account the fees that students pay to study at the university.
- US median salary: $95,300 (2021)
- Average annual UK salary: £40,117
The cost of the Ari Alexa LF, a popular camera used in major Hollywood productions, can range from $100,000 to $150,000 depending on the specific model. Credit: Patrick T. Fallon/AFP
3. Film studies
Here are some of the best film schools in the world:
- USC School of Film Art, film and television production ($63,468)
- National Film and Television School, directing and producing television programs (£52,000, $64,653.42)
- London Film SchoolCinema Master (£65,638, $81,610.02)
Like engineering, film studies is one of the most expensive careers in the world, and for good reason.
This course will introduce you to expensive cameras, sophisticated video recording equipment, complex editing software, and more for a truly hands-on learning experience.
Some film schools require filmmaking as part of their curriculum. These projects cost money and time because you would have to make props, scour filming locations, and find actors.
After graduation, you will probably need to create a few film projects for your portfolio, which you will pay for out of pocket.
The good news is that video editing is one of themthe best skills you can learnincrease employment in 2023
Since most companies know the impact of great videos, companies are always looking for professional video editors or videographers to promote their business.
- US median salary: $79,000 (2021)
- Average annual UK salary: £43,961
Berklee's recording and music production facility is possibly the largest in the US Credit: Craig Barritt/Getty Images for NARAS/AFP
Here are some of the best units to devote to music:
- University of Aberdeen, BMUs (£20,800 for the 2023/24 academic year)
- Cambridge University, Music (£32,064 for 2023 entry)
- Berklee College of Music, Bachelor of Music ($21,325 - $24,415)
Are you a budding musician? You might think a degree in music is unnecessary, especially when social media can help you become an overnight viral sensation.
While this may be true, a music degree can open up a world of possibilities for those who want to work behind the scenes in music production, combining their passion with practicality.
Yes, it can be an expensive specialty, but the benefits are huge. Imagine access to world-class tutoring, state-of-the-art facilities, recording equipment, and opportunities to connect with industry creators.
John Mayer, Lady Gaga, Miles David and Paul McCartney all have musical backgrounds that they have used with great success.
Upon graduation, you will be ready to join them and will be well equipped to manage musicians, produce music, or even become a session musician for an artist's album or recording a live concert.
- Average U.S. wage: $30.49 per hour (2021)
- Average annual UK salary: £29,317
Do you dream of becoming a pilot? If you're ready to earn one of the world's most expensive degrees, a career in aviation could be worth your time. Credit: Nikolai Doychinov/AFP
Here are some of the best aviation schools to boost your aviation career:
- University of North Dakota, Commercial Aviation (BSAero.) ($37,499.04)
- Ohio State University, Bachelor of Aviation Science ($39,650 for the 2022-23 academic year)
- Embry-Riddle Aviation University, Bachelor of Science in Aeronautics ($485.00 per credit hour)
Major airlines generally prefer applicants with four years of aviation education. They can accelerate your professional development with qualified instructors who are often retired pilots.
Be careful though. Flight school tuition can add up quickly due to the cost of purchasing and maintaining aircraft, cutting-edge technology, and the expensive fuel needed to transport passengers and cargo.
That said, statistics show that pilots earn impressive salaries.
Combine this with various jobs and paid accommodations and you will find that aviation is one of the most lucrative careers available today.
- US median salary: $99,640 (2021)
- Average annual UK salary: £69,679
Here are some numbers that show why an MBA is one of the most expensive degrees in the world:
- Harvard Business School($112,764 for a full two-year program)
- MIT Sloan School of Management($82,000 for the 2023-24 academic year)
- Stern School of Business at New York University($82,326 for the 2023-24 academic year)
If you're considering an MBA, it's normal to worry about spending a huge amount of money just to graduate with no job security or fear of being fired - and rightly so.
Last month, Bloomberg reported that McKinsey & Co.announced planscut about 2,000 jobs while KPMGcut himselfnearly 700 professionals from his consulting practice in the United States. Others, such as EY, also failYour recruitment goalsby thousands
Still, an MBA is still worthwhile and relevant.
Earning an MBA can enhance your career opportunities, increase your salary, and lead to better job opportunities. Recessions come and go, but the strength of the MBA remains.
- US median salary: $76,570 (2021)
- Average annual UK salary: £69,679
Tuition at the Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), which is ranked #1 in the list of the best fashion schools in the world for 2023, costs $10,846 per semester. Credit: Julien De Rosa/AFP
7. Fashion design
Here are the best fashion schools in the world:
- Institute of Fashion Technology, Bachelor of Fashion Business Administration (10,846 USD per semester)
- London Fashion School, BSc (Hons) Fashion Management (£25,970, $32,220.07 per year)
- Parsons School of Design, Fashion Design ($27,794 per semester)
Have you seen the reality show "Project Runway"? Despite the glamorous appeal of fashion, it takes time, effort, and a creative eye to design clothes that easily capture people's attention.
If you plan to study at a school in a major fashion capital like New York, tuition will be more expensive.
The advantage of studying in the capital of fashion is the proximity of the best contacts, renowned fashion fairs and industry internships - important factors that can speed up becoming a well-known designer, buyer or stylist.
- US median salary: $77,450 (2021)
- Average annual UK salary: £28,734
Whether in Bandung or Brooklyn, the dentist will have plenty of well-paying jobs. Source: Timur Matahari/AFP8. odontology
Here are some numbers showing how expensive it is to study dentistry:
- King's College, London, BDS Dentistry (£50,760, $62,972.60 annually)
- Instytut KarolinskaDentistry (SEK 1,900,000, USD 180,988.30 for five years): This program is taught entirely in Swedish.
- University of California Los Angeles, Doctor of Dental Surgery ($19,626 annually)
It's not surprising when you read that dentistry is one of the most expensive careers in the world.
Must complete a five-year degree in dentistry approved byGeneral Council of Dentistryfollowed by one to two years of postgraduate dental training.
In some cases, complete Adentist entrance examfor admission to dental schools in the USA and Canada orUniversity Clinical Skills Testin the United Kingdom.
This does not include the dental team you will manage in college, clinical rotation costs, or living expenses as an international student.
- US median salary: $163,220 (2021)
- Average annual UK salary: £57,326